Friday, March 7, 2008

Paths as Yet Untrodden

(Old photo of grass beyond the mosaic bed)

I was working on determining where the primary and secondary paths will go in the new bedding areas opened up by the taking away of St. Augustine lawn in the back yard, It reminded me of one of my favorite prayers, used as part of "Matins" - a service of Morning Prayer, and it goes like this:

"Lord God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

In my mind this sums up not only the way to face a new day, but also how to live that day out. That same approach is in large part what nurtures and sustains me in my attempts at gardening.

For me, gardening is no slam dunk. I do not now and never will know all there is to know about soil, plants, local conditions and/or techniques in any way that gives me many guarantees that what I will try to do, will succeed in a way I might recognize. Yet I try, and will keep trying, because it is the trust and the attempting to do what is right that will count as success, rather than any one example of getting it right. (Our proposed network of new paths/Aerial view)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Rollingwood, Central Texas
Family historian by default. Oldest surviving matriarch on my branch of the Family Tree. Story teller, photo taker, gardener, cook, blabbermouth.