Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Color Full

Society Garlic/Iris?  This one's for you......


The world is a carousel of color, 
Wonderful, wonderful color.
The world is a carousel of color,
History, comedy, fantasy,
There's drama and mirth,
There's old mother earth
With all of her secrets to see.

The world is a treasure-trove of faces,
Fabulous, faraway places.
The hopes and the fears,
The joys and the tears
Of people like you and like me.
The kingdoms of magic science,
The glorious story of art,
The world of romance,
Of music and dance,
This world where we each play a part.


The miracle of imagination,
The marvels of earth, sea and sky,
These wonders untold
Are ours to behold
In the funny world,
The sunny world,
The wonderful world of color.




I don't know about you, but I spent most of the Sunday evenings of my youth watching The Wonderful World of Disney, first in black and white, then in wonderful, wonderful, color.  


My strongest early memory of this was the first time I saw (or remember seeing anyway) the speeded up film of a flower bloom opening.  That same segment showed a vine tendril curling to achieve purchase on a surface it was climbing and it absolutely captured my imagination.  I don't think I ever looked at any plant quite the same way once I realized that their static appearance was only a matter of time and perception.    


I think this explains my fascination with Before/After shots.  The implied motion in the changes demonstrated seems almost magical, though I know from personal experience there is nothing magical about the sweat and effort and planning required.


Anyway, I wanted to explore recurrent colors around this place, with the idea that subtly or not, color preferences tend to work their way into our landscape when we aren't paying attention, sort of the way that queen's wreath vine out front keeps trying to move over and ring our doorbell if I don't keep it tucked neatly in place.  


For today?  Purple.  Not "just" purple per se but pinky purple, reddish purple, and all the shades in between.  Ready?  Let's go....!



























6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Deb! Your photos are beautiful! What is that super-duper purple flower in the second to last photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris that is a Grandpa Ott Morning Glory (aka Ipomoea purpurea). I got the seeds either at Wheatsville or Barton Springs Nursery and can't recall which place (obviously). I've been meaning to try this out for several years running but never got around to it until this year. Better late than never - I can tell it is going to be a favorite of mine although the silly deer seem to want to gnosh on it. Bad Bambi!

    I didn't even get all the purples in this post - had some Society Garlic not currently in bloom and larkspur, vinca, plumbago, and ruellia, too. Apparently I really REALLY like purples although if you asked me what my favorite flower color is I'd say "blue". Seems like I say one thing and plant another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admire people with the discipline to garden in color schemes. Your purples are winners. We have a riot of everything, sometimes in waves (early blue/purple wildflowers fade & now orange/yellow wildflowers dominate), sometimes just a riot. The good thing is that the butterflies and birds don't seem to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat: The photos are misleading perhaps. Discipline? Here? I have anything BUT a color "scheme". I am just noticing that there are recurrent color choices at work in what is otherwise a seemingly randomized "what plant would work well in this spot" selection process.

    The only design at work around here is our ongoing choice to try and work with as many native plants as we can because you are right - the birds and butterflies like what they like, whether it fits a design plan or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me of the wonderful Sunday nights with World of Disney!

    And your purples are outstanding!

    I do like the waves of the color wheel in our gardens. I feel sad for the people who just have green green grass and not all this wonder, especially for the butterflies and bees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Linda - I appreciate you dropping by. I'm a full convert now. I agree - folks with grass only are missing out on so much in the way of visual stimulation. The colors, textures, scents and activity drawn into our spaces by planting a variety of natives have all been well worth the work to transform from "lawn" to "garden".

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rollingwood, Central Texas
Family historian by default. Oldest surviving matriarch on my branch of the Family Tree. Story teller, photo taker, gardener, cook, blabbermouth.