Tuesday, November 17, 2009

End of the Line

[click on photo for larger version]
I am recently returned after having been away, but cannot resist adding my two caterpillar's worth to the wonderful series of photos already entered into Gardening Gone Wild's current Picture This Photo Contest for November.

The theme for this month is "The End of the Line" and the thoughtful responses sent in so far are well worth your time spent visiting the blogs represented.

As is typical after being away from hearth and garden, I have a long (LONG!) list of chores demanding my attention, so I hope you will forgive my lack of an accompanying post this go-round. I am optimistic the photograph will provide its own context.

In the meantime I am hopeful you are enjoying the wonderful November light. I find this one of the most beautiful times of year here in Central Texas and with that said, out I go to enjoy more of it.

5 comments:

  1. I thought I just posted a comment but I don't see it. So, sorry if this ends up as two comments. Glad to hear you're back home! I think your "End of the Line" photo is just the bee's knees! Well, wrong critter, but you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, end of the line indeed! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But but, the caterpillars are not at the end, are they? Aren't they just ready for metamorphosis to butterflies? I guess that would count as the end of their lives as caterpillars.

    I love finding them in my garden.

    What a lovely post. good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well no, HMH, the caterpillars are not the end at all, but they are at the end of that branch of the fennel plant and once they ate all the frondy parts (which they most certainly did), they had to move on, having reached the end of that fennel's line at least.

    And sure enough, once I'd sent this in I bet I found at least 3 other photos in the archives that might have suited the contest theme better but them's the breaks, kids. In the end, it's all good.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea... I almost posted one exactly like it. Swallowtail cats all over parsley that had been eaten away except for the stems. Great photo.
    Meems

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rollingwood, Central Texas
Family historian by default. Oldest surviving matriarch on my branch of the Family Tree. Story teller, photo taker, gardener, cook, blabbermouth.